The fatherhood Project is part of a larger global campaign called Men Care. The Western Cape initiative is a joint venture between the Sonke Gender Trust and Families South Africa Western Cape.
The project aims to:
- Bring about gender equitable parenting.
- Highlight the importance of a father’s engagement with his child in terms of the child’s development and the father’s mental wellness.
- Prepare men mentally and emotionally for the birth of the child.
- Increase understanding between men and women, thereby reinforcing a gender equitable relationship within the couple.
- Put the rights of the child at the centre.
- Highlight the child’s right to connect with both the mother and father.
- Inspire fathers to share time with the child.
We aim to achieve these goals through creating a space (small facilitated groups) where men can engage each other and the facilitator around these key issues. Groups are held in venues that are easily accessible to their community.